Construction & Property Development
From vacant land to fully managed construction projects, Uniland Development Company can help you find the right location and building for your organization. Discover how Uniland has earned a “Reputation for Results” by delivering projects for our clients on time and on budget.
As a vertically integrated, full-service property developer, Uniland has greater control over the quality and schedule of our real estate projects. Since our founding in 1974, the Uniland team has completed projects across Western New York for some of the regions most successful businesses and reputable institutions.
See Our Work
The building you work from should be as unique as your company. Whether you’re looking for a 800 SF custom office, a 40,000 SF build-to-suit, or a 200,000+ SF industrial space, you can be confident that Uniland has the experience and expertise to deliver a space that fits your company’s needs and budget.
We offer over 400 acres of prime shovel-ready development sites across the Buffalo Niagara region to custom build a corporate office, warehouse, industrial facility or retail space that suits the long-term needs of your business. And if we don’t own it, our team of site selectors can find a suitable location for you.
Property Development & Construction Services
Uniland offers comprehensive property development & construction management services with the experience of having developed more than 16 million sq. ft. of commercial real estate in Buffalo & Rochester, NY, since 1974.
Project Concept, Use and Programming
Market Research and Analysis
Highest/Best Use Analysis
Site Acquisition and Disposition
Planning and Design:
Project Evaluation and Cost Estimation
Construction Management and Scheduling
Design-Build, General Contracting, Owner’s Representative
Capital Formation & Incentives:
Construction and Permanent Financing
Incentive and Grant Procurement
Uniland Construction Services
In construction, there are no second chances. Each project must be done right the first time. Our Buffalo-based team at Uniland Construction includes architects, designers, engineers and construction managers. We collaborate and communicate with you throughout the process to deliver your project on time and on budget.
Uniland Construction can provide Construction Management, General Contracting or Owner’s Representative for just about any real estate project. We’re the construction firm that builds local landmarks, highly-rated hotels, inspirational places to worship, schools for the next generation, and workspaces to enjoy. Our comprehensive method of Design/Build integrates all aspects of planning, design, and construction into one cohesive team for a more efficient process that saves you time and money.
By using the latest Procore project management software, we closely monitor construction projects while keeping the customer informed at every stage. Our team has completed projects for some of Western New York’s most successful businesses and reputable institutions, including GEICO, Catholic Health System, Columbus McKinnon, Canisius College, Delaware North, M&T Bank and D’Youville College.
We’re the construction firm that builds local landmarks, highly-rated hotels, inspirational places to worship, schools for the next generation, and workspaces to enjoy.
Our comprehensive method of Design/Build integrates all aspects of planning, design, and construction into one cohesive team for a more efficient process that saves you time and money.
By using the latest Procore project management software, we closely monitor construction projects while keeping the customer informed at every stage.
Creating livable environments for work, play and recreation require commitment and consideration with every aspect of project management spanning design, construction and property management. At Uniland, sustainable development is a corporate responsibility that we have to our tenants, our environment, and ourselves. We accomplish this by achieving a high level of performance in energy and water efficiency, environmental construction, sustainable building operations, green building certifications, tenant engagement and community involvement.
Uniland recognizes that every effort, large and small, is an important contribution to our shared environment. From concept to completion, elements of sustainable design are incorporated into every Uniland project. We actively pursue economic development programs, rebates, tax credits, and other opportunities that reduce tenant occupancy costs and utility expenses including ENERGY STAR, LEED certification and NYSERDA incentives.
Want to Learn About Commercial Property Development?
Check out our resourses at Uniland University created by development professionals to help educate and provide insight on the commercial real estate development process, with a focus on the Buffalo and Western NY region.
How Large Commercial Real Estate Companies Can Help Small Businesses
Working with a large, experienced commercial real estate (CRE) developer that offers a full-service solution is worth considering. A commercial real estate partner should offer:
- the flexibility to suit your needs
- a team of experts to guide you
- experience, success, and reputation
- business relationships and community connections
Learn more about How Large Commercial Real Estate Companies Can Help Small Businesses
Four Ways Design-Build is Better for Your Construction Project
In today’s construction landscape, Design-Build is gaining recognition as a better way for clients to implement their building projects. By creating a unified team to execute the project, clients benefit in a variety of ways:
1. Better Focus – one team to create a successful project from concept to completion
2. Faster Results – by integrating architectural planning and construction management
3. Greater Value – collaboration on the construction project uncovers efficiencies & best practices
4. More Transparency – you have one person who will manage the whole project for you
Design-Build Process at The Delaware North Building, 250 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, NY
Watch this video to see a once a contaminated brownfield site in the Central Business District transformed into a world-class building containing a Westin Hotel, Class A office space, retailers, restaurants, and an adjacent 600 car parking garage.
Learn more about the Four Ways Design-Build is Better for Your Construction Project.
What to Look for in a Property Development Partner
A strong development partner will get you to the grand opening on time and on budget.
- You need a partner who understands the local real estate market
- They should be able to identify eligible public-private partnerships, grants, and economic incentives
- The ability to secure local zoning and building approvals, as well as positive community involvement
- A property development company with an in-house team and a network of partners will help unify your project.
- Track record for On-time Delivery – you need a property developer who will have the building or space ready for that critical deadline.
- A property developer that also offers property management and asset management services can help control the cost, liability and requirements of operating a building for the long-term.
Learn more about What to Look for in a Property Development Partner
Where to Locate a Business in Western NY
To help you research the right location for your office, warehouse or retail store, Uniland created the first detailed Buffalo Niagara region demographic report. This free demographic analysis of the Buffalo area addresses key questions related to:
- The population of Buffalo, NY, and Erie County,
- Average incomes in Buffalo and Western New York,
- The varying cost of Class A office space for rent,
- Relevant Erie County tax maps, and more.
Learn more about Where to Locate a Business in Western NY
Investing in Buffalo Opportunity Zones
These federal tax incentives are designed to connect private investors to economically challenged communities by encouraging the long-term reinvestment of capital gains into struggling census tracks in need of an economic boost. Looking at the Opportunity Zone map, there are 514 Opportunity Zones in New York State, including 44 in Western New York and 18 in the City of Buffalo, meaning there are countless ways for businesses to take advantage of these incentives.
Learn more about Investing in Buffalo Opportunity Zones
What is Mixed-Use Development?
Projects that blend residential, commercial, and recreational uses. A transformation is underway in downtown Buffalo, New York, and its suburbs creating demand for mixed-use developments.
According to the American Planning Association, mixed-use development:
- Allows for greater housing variety and density;
- Encourages more compact development;
- Strengthens neighborhood character and sense of place; and
- Promotes pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly environments.
People from various demographic groups see the conveniences and advantages of a lifestyle that allows them to blend their living, work and leisure activities in a central locale. Uniland’s Eastern Hills Mall redevelopment project in Clarence, NY, will incorporate these principles into WNY’s first Town Center.
Learn more about Mixed-Use Development?
Previous Project Case Studies:
Mixed-Use Development Projects
- Avant – Buffalo, NY 2009
- The Delaware North Building – Buffalo, NY 2015
- Eastern Hills Mall Redevelopment – Clarence, NY 2020-22
- The Glen at Perinton Hills – Fairport, NY 2015, 2020
- HANSA Workspace (Coworking) – Buffalo, NY 2020
- North Buffalo Mixed-Use Project – Buffalo, NY 2017
Avant, French for “Forward,” was Buffalo’s first mixed-use development in the Central Business District. A trailblazer in the city’s downtown renewal, it was boldly executed during the height of the Great Recession. The success of Avant has helped spur over $450 million of investment in its two-block radius, unleashing a new era of development across the Buffalo skyline.
Award Winning Office Parks
- Airborne Business Park – Cheektowaga, NY
- Amherst International Park – Amherst, NY
- Audubon Business Center – Amherst, NY
- Audubon Office Park – Amherst, NY
- CrossKeys Office Park – Fairport, NY
- CrossPoint Business Park – Amherst, NY
- Sheridan Meadows Corporate Park – Amherst, NY
- University Corporate Center – Amherst, NY
- WillowBrook Office Park – Fairport, NY
Uniland has the largest portfolio of office parks in Western NY that are home to over 400 businesses in the Buffalo and Rochester, New York regions.
College & Academic Development
- Canisius College Carol & Carl J. Montante Cultural Center – Buffalo, NY 2003
- Canisius College Science Hall – Buffalo, NY 2015
- Canisius College Village Townhouses – Buffalo, NY 1996
- Canisius High School Athletics – Buffalo, NY 2014
- Charter School for Applied Technology – Tonawanda, NY 2012
- D’Youville College School of Arts, Sciences and Education – Buffalo, NY 2015
The D’Youville College project involved the adaptive reuse and restoration of an existing three-story, 25,000-square-foot building, the reuse of the historic façade of its neighboring building, and the construction of two new buildings. The new buildings have the vibe of a high-energy, collaborative environment for students, faculty, and staff.
Religious & Non-Profit Development
- Asbury United Methodist Church – Amherst, NY 2010
- Autism Services, Inc. – Amherst, NY 2017
- The Chapel at CrossPoint – Amherst, NY 2013
- People, Inc.’s Elmwood Health Center – Buffalo, NY 2020
- St. Mary’s Parish of Swormville – Amherst, NY 2015
- The Summit Center – Amherst, NY 2015
The Chapel at CrossPoint is a 130,000-square-foot building designed to serve numerous ministries ranging from infants to seniors. It includes a nursery, game room, classrooms, a theater, multipurpose gymnasium, bookstore, reception/banquet room, ministry offices, state-of-the-art media center, and an elegant, traditional 210-seat wedding chapel. To accommodate growing ministries, the primary 2,000-seat sanctuary is expandable to 3,200 square feet.
Warehouse & Industrial Development
- Eastport Commerce Center – Lancaster, NY
- Interstate Commerce Centre – Tonawanda, NY
- Tonawanda Commerce Centre – Tonawanda, NY
- Tonawanda Centre of Industry – Tonawanda, NY
- Walden Business Centre – Depew, NY
Uniland has a large portfolio of industrial properties spanning modern warehouse, industrial, and flex office space across Western New York designed for manufacturing, distribution, and warehouse operations. These buildings are commercial spaces designed with deep docks, grade level doors, wide roadways and are situated close to major highways, railways and transportation hubs for New York State, Canadian border crossings, and beyond.
Hotel & Restaurant Development
- Amherst Pizza & Ale House – Amherst, NY 2004
- Embassy Suites Buffalo – Buffalo, NY 2010
- Hampton Inn Buffalo – Amherst – Amherst, NY 2020
- Rachel’s Mediterranean Grill Buffalo Flagship – Buffalo, NY 2018
- Rachel’s Mediterranean Grill at CrossPoint – Amherst, NY 2021
Uniland is known for creating dynamic hotels and restaurants in the Buffalo, region. Samples of their work include the iconic Embassy Suites Buffalo hotel with an on-site restaurant. The nation’s first Universally Designed hotel for an enhanced guest experience, the Hampton Inn Buffalo-Amherst at the Northtown Center sports complex, as well as Rachel’s Mediterranean Grill Buffalo Flagship within The Delaware North complex.