Niagara Center – Office Building Construction
Niagara Center Office Building| 130 S. Elmwood Ave. Buffalo, NY 14202
GSA Specifications Pose Risk for Lack of Federal Tenants
In 2004, a potential opportunity to meet the growing demand for federal office space arose in Buffalo’s Central Business District. Undertaking a speculative project of this nature held significant risks, however. No Class A office buildings of significant size were constructed in the 10 years prior, indicating an excessive supply of CBD office space. In addition, the General Services Administration’s (GSA) specifications for space occupied by federal tenants far exceeded those of typical businesses. That fact increased project risk since there was no guarantee that federal tenants would eventually occupy the new facility. Finally, the potential need for federal office space was less than 18 months away.
Maximize GSA Appeal for Project
Uniland entered into a joint venture with Acquest Development to develop Niagara Center. In order to maximize GSA appeal for the project, the focus had to be on three things:
- Building design
- Incorporating enhanced GSA specifications
- Constructing the project on a fast-track basis
A Fully Occupied, Contemporary Facility Meeting all of the GSA’s Needs
Located in Buffalo’s Federal Corridor, Niagara Center’s dignified design echoes historic neighborhood architecture in a thoroughly contemporary facility that meets all of the GSA’s unique needs.
- Increased communication and acceptance of project through coordinating sessions with local government agencies, planning boards, and neighborhood preservation groups
- Added two floors were added to the original six-story structure
- Successfully delivered the project in 14 months
- The building is 100% leased to over 10 GSAs